Off Road Vehicles

Under the Control of Vehicles (Off Road Areas) Act 1978 it is an offence to drive or ride an off-road vehicle within the Town of Port Hedland, unless it is used on private land with the owner's consent.

Off-road vehicles include trail bikes, two and four wheeled motor bikes, go-carts and buggies.

The Town of Port Hedland and the WA Police take the riding/driving of off road vehicles in non-permitted areas seriously and may seize the vehicle, prosecute or issue infringements.

All off-road vehicles used in areas covered by the Act, other than on private land with consent of the owner, must be registered.

Safety Tips

  • Wear a suitable protective helmet, clothing and protective gear. 
  • Everybody must wear a seat belt if fitted. 
  • Carry plenty of water and some food. 
  • Ride with others and look after your mates. 
  • Make sure all lights are working. If you have no lights stop riding before dusk.
  • Tell someone where you are going and when you will return. 
  • Make sure your vehicle is safe and usable. 
  • Keep to defined tracks and leave the area as you find it. 
  • Take you rubbish home with you.
  • Push or trailer your bike to the permitted areas. Don’t ride from home. 
  • Have your bike registered as an off-road vehicle.
  • Have your off-road registration plate fitted to the rear. 
  • Carry some ID and your registration papers 
  • Stop when requested by Police or Rangers. 
  • Gain approval from any private landowner and carry that approval with you. 
  • Obey any signage or direction. 
  • Unless you and the vehicle are licensed to be on the road keep off any road, sealed or not. 
  • Be aware of blind spots and low visibility in dust and some sunlight. 
  • Be courteous to other riders, pedestrians and others using the area. 
  • Make sure any rider is over 8 years old.


There are two locations in the Town of Port Hedland that are open to off road vehicles. Vehicles must be delivered to these areas on a trailer, and not ridden outside of these sites. 

Deepwater Reserve, South Hedland

Spoilbank, Port Hedland

Report illegal off road vehicle use

Off-road vehicle use is only permitted on private property with consent or in a permitted area within the Town of Port Hedland.

If you see someone in an area not permitted please contact the appropriate authority with as much information as possible, including:

  • day, time and approximate location
  • direction the vehicle was coming from
  • registration details
  • description of the motor bike or vehicle

To report illegal or unsafe use of off road vehicles, please contact Rangers on (08) 9158 9300 or the Police on (08) 9160 2100