Unable To Pay Rates

If rates remain unpaid after the due dates you will receive correspondence from the Town of Port Hedland’s debt collection agency requesting full payment.

If no payment is forthcoming, or any payment arrangement entered into, legal action may commence without further notice. Once legal action commences, and a Claim has been issued through the Court, the Town of Port Hedland is able to seek judgement from the Court to seize goods or sell your property if payment is not made.

All costs associated with legal action are recoverable from the ratepayer and will be added to the account. An invoice will not be issued for these charges.

Can I enter into a special arrangement?

If you are unable to pay your rates in full or as per the instalment option offered on your rates notice, please contact the Rates Officer prior to the due date as listed on the Rates Notice to request an alternative payment arrangement.

Special arrangements must be confirmed in writing stating the amount proposed to pay, the commencement date, the frequency and the method of payment.

Special arrangements must clear the outstanding balance by 30 June of the financial year the plan is entered.

All payment plans are subject to approval with interest continuing to calculate daily at 11% p.a  on the outstanding balance until the outstanding balance is cleared. The plan will attract a one off administration fee.

The Town of Port Hedland can conveniently debit your bank account by the agreed amount on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis. Dishonored payments will attract a penalty fee. Should the payment dishonor three times consecutively the direct debit will be cancelled.

Please contact the Rates Department at rates@porthedland.wa.gov.au prior to the due date to avoid further action.

Should you require further information regarding debt collection procedures, please call the Rates Section on (08) 9158 9300.