As of 8 December 2023 - New national standards for all food businesses across Australia

As of December 8, 2023, food businesses will be introduced to a new, Australia-wide food safety standard.

Food businesses dealing with unpackaged, potentially hazardous, and ready-to-eat foods must adhere to the updated standards. The standards are aimed at improving food handling practices and reducing the risk of foodborne illnesses. This standard is outlined in the Guide for Food Businesses on Food Safety Standard 3.2.2A.


Action Required:

To ensure compliance with these new requirements, we kindly request that you provide the Environmental Health Team at the Town of Port Hedland with the necessary certificates for food safety supervisor and/or food handler training certification no later than 29 February 2024 if applicable to your business/premise.

Equipping food businesses with these tools empowers them to proactively address food safety risks, mitigating the risk of foodborne illnesses, outbreaks, financial losses, and damage to their reputation.

Key Requirements:


  1. Category Classification:
    • Category One: Businesses that process or make unpackaged, potentially hazardous, ready-to-eat foods (e.g., cafés, restaurants, caterers).
    • Category Two: Businesses that minimally handle unpackaged, potentially hazardous food (e.g., slicing, weighing, repacking, reheating) such as service stations or supermarket delis.
  2. Compliance Deadline:
    • All affected businesses must comply with the new requirements by 8 December 2023.
  3. Food Handler Training:
    • Food handlers (including chefs, cooks, and waiters) in both Category One and Two businesses must complete food handler training or demonstrate adequate skills and knowledge in food safety.
    • Free online food handler training courses are available at
  4. Food Safety Supervisor:
    • Category One and Two businesses must appoint at least one food safety supervisor who will advise and supervise food handlers.
    • Food safety supervisors are required to take a training course and refresh their certification every 5 years (courses listed at
  5. Record-Keeping:
    • Category One businesses must keep records of food safety controls for a minimum of 3 months.
    • Key records include temperature monitoring, cooking temperatures, cleaning, and sanitizing procedures.
    • Record templates can be downloaded from


Frequently asked questions:

For more detailed information, please refer to the Guide for Food Businesses on Food Safety Standard 3.2.2A or visit

For more information visit food safety management tools for food businesses.

Environmental Health Team

(08) 9158 9300

Food Safety

The Food Act 2008 and Food Regulations 2009 are developed to ensure that food for sale is both safe and suitable for human consumption. The Town’s Environmental Health Officers are authorised officers under the Act and conduct inspections and investigations in relation to food premises to ensure a state of compliance with legislative requirements.

A food business is a business or activity that involves the handling of food intended for sale; or the sale of food, regardless of whether the handling or sale of food occurs on one occasion only.

All food businesses, other than those that are exempt under the Act, must be registered with the Town prior to commencement of operations. Exempted food businesses must notify the Town to enable food surveillance across the community.

Exempted food businesses from registration:

  • Are conducted solely for charitable or community purposes and prepare non-potentially hazardous foods or foods that, after being appropriately cooked, are served for immediate consumption
  • Sell certain packaged food
  • Provide complimentary drinks in conjunction with another kind of business
  • Form part of premises registered under the Commonwealth Export Control Act 1982

Food businesses are categorised according to their level of risk to public health. The classification as a low, medium or high risk food business is determined by the type of food being sold, food handling processes and the intended consumer base.

Home-Based food businesses

As advised by the Department of Health of WA, the Town requires that any home-based food business carries out low risk food activities only. Residential food premises are not constructed in compliance with requirements of the Food Standards Code. In addition, they are ‘mixed use’ as they are available for personal and commercial use. The restriction of home-based business registration to preparation of low risk food only is intended to minimise risk to public health.

Temporary food stalls

A temporary food stall is defined as a food business under the Act and therefore must be registered with the Town. Temporary food stalls must also obtain a Trading in Streets and Public Places licence when trading in a public place or on local government property.

For further information please contact the Town’s Environmental Health Services on 9158 9300.

FoodSafe Online – free food safety training

The Town of Port Hedland provides free online training to enable a fundamental understanding of food hygiene and food safety practices to be developed.

Under the Food Standards Code, all food handlers are required to have adequate skills and knowledge in food hygiene and food safety practices. FoodSafe Online provides the minimum standard of this requirement.

Directions for accessing FoodSafe Online:

Click on this link and on the payment details page, use the unique discount voucher “FSPTHED339” and it will apply the $35 discount. You will need to complete the transaction and follow the downloadable instructions to register and start the course. A printable certificate will be available once you have successfully completed the course.

Useful links:

Assessment of businesses that manufacture food 

Food prepared in residential premises 

Exempted food businesses 

Application for Trading in Streets and Public Places 

Application for Food Business/Activity

For further information please contact the Town’s Environmental Health Officers on 9158 9300.