Election FAQ

All Town of Port Hedland documents are available to the community upon request and in alternative formats if required, including hard copy in standard and large print, electronic format, audio format on CD or USB, or via email.

Who can vote in local government elections?

To be able to vote, a person must be enrolled on the State electoral roll for a residence in that local government district or own/occupy rateable property within the local government district and be on the State or Australian Government electoral roll.

Do electors have to be Australian citizens?

In general, yes. In certain circumstances, a person who was on the electoral roll prior to the commencement of the Local Government Act 1995 but who is not an Australian citizen, may be able to remain on the roll and vote at council elections but not nominate for council.

What is the owners/occupiers roll?

Owners of land or nominees of corporate bodies who own or occupy rateable property but are not enrolled on the State electoral roll for that ward or district may apply to be on the owners’/occupiers’ roll, providing they are on the State or Commonwealth Government electoral roll for a residential address outside that ward or district.

What is the residents’ roll?

Those residents who live in a district and are enrolled on the State electoral roll are automatically enrolled on the residents’ roll for local government elections.

What is the consolidated roll?

The roll for the local government elections is usually consolidated from the residents’ roll and the owners’ and occupiers’ roll.

What is a non-resident owner?

A non-resident owner is a person who owns rateable land within the district but is not a resident. To be eligible to be on the roll, a non-resident owner must be enrolled on the State or Commonwealth Government electoral roll for the area where they live.

What is a non-resident occupier?

A non-resident occupier is a person, living outside the local government district or ward where the election is being held, who leases or occupies rateable property within the district. To be eligible to vote the person must be enrolled on the State or Commonwealth Government electoral roll where they live, and have a right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal instrument of the property within the district where they seek a vote. The right of continuous occupation must extend for a period of at least 3 months at the time the person claims enrolment.

Are people who do not live in the district able to vote?

Yes. Electors of a local government consist of eligible non-resident property owners and occupiers and residents of the district. Local government provides services to both people and property and the rates levied are paid not only by residents but also non resident business owners and other people who own or occupy property. Where people personally own or occupy property, but are not residents of the district, they are able to enrol to vote and nominate for council at the elections.

How many votes does a corporate body have?

Where a company or body corporate owns or occupies rateable land, up to 2 people can be enrolled to vote on its behalf. If more than one property in a ward is owned by the same company or body corporate, the body is still entitled to only 2 votes. If the company or body corporate is entitled to exercise votes at other elections (wards) for the same local government, the same two people must be nominated to vote for the other elections. These people must be enrolled on the State or Commonwealth Government roll for a residence outside the district.

Can I appeal if my application to enrol to vote is rejected by the CEO?

Yes. The CEO of the local government must provide reasons for a decision to reject a claim for enrolment. Any person dissatisfied with the decision may appeal to the Electoral Commissioner who may confirm or reverse the decision.

What happens where there are multiple non-resident owners/occupiers?

Where a property is owned or occupied by 2 non-residents, both are entitled to be on the roll. Where there are more than 2 owners/occupiers they must nominate the 2 owners/occupiers who have the right to vote. The nominees must be on the State or Commonwealth Government electoral roll.

How does a non-resident owner/occupier apply to be on the roll?

The local government has the relevant Enrolment Eligibility Claim Form to apply to be on the roll or to nominate the people to vote on behalf of a body corporate.

Can I check that I am on the roll?

The residents’ roll for elections, which is based on enrolments for Australian/State elections, can be checked at the local government, the WA Electoral Commission (www.waec.wa.gov.au) or the Australian Electoral Commission. The owners’/occupiers’ roll can be checked at the local government offices.

For more frequently asked questions follow this link:

WAEC FAQ Document

Local Government Elections Fact Sheets

 For more information in relation to Local Government Elections, please visit the Department of Local Government and Communities website.

 On this website, you will find the following fact sheets:

  • An introduction to Local Government
  • The role of a Council Member
  • Council Members responsibilities and rights
  • Nominating to be a Council Member
  • Rights and obligations in campaigning
  • Running an election campaign
  • Conduct of Local Government Elections
  • What happens when you become a Council Member