Citizenship Ceremonies

The next Australian Citizenship Ceremony conducted by the Town of Port Hedland is proposed to be held on Friday 20 April 2018, in Council Chambers.

Applications For Australian Citizenship

Applications for Australian citizenship are actioned by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC). All enquiries relating to Australian citizenship,  including the status of an application, should be directed to DIAC ON 131 881 or at

Civic Ceremonies

Following application for citizenship, the Immigration Department will advise the applicants of their acceptance (where applicable) and will also send a list of names to the nominated Local Government.

The Town of Port Hedland’s role is to conduct citizenship ceremonies to bestow citizenship upon our residents. Citizenship ceremonies are a special event; they fulfill requirements under Australian citizenship law and provide an important opportunity to officially welcome new citizens as full member of the Australian community.

Applicants will be contacted and invited by a Town of Port Hedland Officer to attend the next available citizenship ceremony. Ceremonies usually take place every 3 to 4 months at the Council Chambers of the Civic Centre in McGregor Street, Port Hedland and are officiated by the Mayor.

For additional information regarding civic ceremonies please contact Tammy Wombwell on (08) 9158 9327 or email at

NOTE: for Australian passport enquiries please call the Australian passport office on 131 232.

Travelling before your ceremony

For all questions or queries regarding travel before your ceremony, please contact the Department of Immigration on 131 880 between 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday. 

The Department of Immigration advise that:

If you need to travel outside Australia after you have been approved for citizenship but before your ceremony, you must travel on your current passport. This will not affect your ability to attend your ceremony or become an Australian citizen.

Before you depart you must ensure you have a visa that allows you to re-enter Australia for your ceremony. If the travel validity period on your permanent visa has expired, or is about to expire, you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa. 

For more information on travelling prior to becoming a citizen please visit the Department of Immigration's website here.

All Town of Port Hedland documents are available to the community upon request and in alternative formats if required, including hard copy in standard and large print, electronic format, audio format on CD or USB, or via email.