Upgrading your place in the new year? Make sure you're compliant

Published on Thursday, 14 January 2021 at 5:55:46 PM

Residents and homeowners are reminded that most works: building a fence, erecting a shade sail, re-roofing, structural refurbishments and more, require a building permit from the Town prior to commencement.

As well as gaining a building permit, it is also important to engage builders and contractors who are listed on the State Government’s Register of Builders if required.

Working with a registered builder on your project minimises safety risks, particularly during cyclone season. Ask for the builder’s credentials if you’re unsure of their registration status.

Mayor Peter Carter encouraged local residents to build safely this cyclone season.

“Are you thinking about upgrading your place in the new year? Perhaps you want to build a higher fence, or maybe a new veranda to make the most of the sunshine. You’ll need to apply for a building permit before you upgrade your property.

“We’re in a cyclonic wind region, which means it’s even more important that works are compliant and are built to standard, able to weather the Pilbara’s tough conditions.”

To access the forms which need to be submitted with the Town, please visit www.porthedland.wa.gov.au/planning-building-and-environment

To access the State Government’s Register of Builders, please visit www.commerce.wa.gov.au

For media information:
Laura Hawes
Manager Corporate Affairs
(08) 9158 9365 | lhawes@porthedland.wa.gov.au

Back to All News