Port Hedland Community Awards
The Port Hedland Community Awards help to build a unified town by giving the community the opportunity to formally recognise the significant contribution of volunteers and sporting excellence within the Town of Port Hedland.
The Port Hedland Community Awards consist of two categories (Outstanding Community Service and Sporting Excellence), with four awards in each category:
Outstanding Community Service
- Youth Volunteer Award (under 25) - Recognition of a young person (under 25) who has volunteered in the community within the last 12 months. The contribution can be in the area of sporting and/or community service. The commitment by the individual needs to have been undertaken outside of normal school, college or work time.
- Community Group Award - A local organisation or group that is providing a community service that is enhancing Port Hedland as a place to live and call home. This group may have a strong volunteering base, be not for profit or is a charitable group and is focused on community strengthening, improving the social capital of the Port Hedland community.
- Community Volunteer Award - An individual who has provided service to the community over the last 12 months. The individual has helped Port Hedland to be a better place to live. The nature of the services provided is likely to focus on but not be limited to community, environment, disability and health.
- Community Safety Award - Awarded to an individual who has made a contribution to the safety of the Hedland Community over the last 12 months in the areas of emergency service (for example; fire, ambulance, SES) and/or community based contributions. The award can be won by a volunteer or alternatively by someone who has provided a level of service above and beyond the normal expectations in an employed role.
- Junior Sports Person of the Year (under 18) - Nominee must be under 18. Awarded to a young person who has resided in Port Hedland for a minimum of one of the last two years and who has excelled in a sport at a local, regional, state or national level. Nominees can participate in one or more sports over the past 12 months.
- Sports Star of the Year - Awarded to a current Port Hedland resident who has excelled in a sport at a local, regional, state or national level in one or more sports over the past 12 months.
- Percy Gratwick VC Sporting Club of the Year - Awarded to a local sporting club or association that excelled at a local, regional, state or national level during the last 12 months. Excellence may be demonstrated in the areas of: governance, sporting excellence and club growth.
- Sporting Volunteer of the Year - Recognition of an individual who has made a significant contribution to a sport through volunteering over the last 12 months.
If you have any questions, please contact the Town's Administration and Events Officer by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 9158 9385.
Congratulations to the following nominees and winners from the 2016 Port Hedland Community Awards:
Tess Mellberg (winner)
Care for Hedland Environmental Association Inc (winner)
Bloodwood Tree Association Inc
Cooke Point Playgroup Inc
Hedland Community Living Association
Hedland Taekwondo Youth Leadership Team
HIPPY Hedland and West Pilbara Children's Service
Pilbara Community Legal Service
SAFE Hedland Inc
Soroptimist International Port Hedland
Lisa Rogers (winner)
Nolleen Du Plessis Lyall
Letcha Quiaroro Solo
Adinda Indira Tiara
Ananda Ilham Tiara
Sharan van der Sluis
Evelyn van Eyck
Te Aroha Wyllie
Community Safety Award
John Mathews (winner)
Junior Sportsperson of the Year
Zoe Britcliffe (winner)
Sport Star of the Year
Nathan Groch (winner)
Percy Gratwick VC Sporting Club of the Year
Sang-rok Hedland Judo Club (winner)
Hedland Taekwondo Inc
Illusions Netball Club
North West Muay Thai
Sporting Volunteer of the Year
Michael Warren (winner)