Nominate to be the Mayor
To stand for election as the Mayor, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be an elector of the district (if you are only an elector because you are a nominee of a company then you are not eligible to stand)
You are not eligible to nominate if you:
- Are an elected member of another council
- Are a candidate for another vacancy of councillor on the council (except for that of Mayor)
- Are a Member of Parliament
- Are an insolvent
- Are currently an elected member for the local government whose term does not expire on election day except if nominating for Mayor
- Have been convicted of a crime and are in prison for that crime
- Have been convicted in the previous 5 years of a “serious local government offence”
- Are a nominee of a body corporate owner or occupier
- Have been found personally liable of misapplying local government funds or property in the previous five years.
How to nominate
The Town will be hosting two candidate information sessions on 20 September and 27 September at 5:30pm in Council Chambers, Civic Centre, McGregor Street, Port Hedland. It is recommended for all new candidates to attend one of these sessions prior to nominating for Council.
If you decide to nominate:
- You must complete the nomination form
- The completed nomination form must be received by the Returning Officer before the close of nominations date
- The nomination form must be accompanied by a candidate profile
- If the nomination is made by an agent the nomination form must be accompanied by a written authorisation from the candidate
- The nomination must be accompanied by a deposit of $80 or the deposit must be paid before nominations close
For more information for candidates please click here.
The West Australian Local Government Association (WALGA) have a prospective Elected Member webinar that covers the below topics:
- About Local Government
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Expectations of Elected Members
- Council Meetings
- Personal Responsibilities
- Impacts on Home Life
Click here to view the webinar.
All Town of Port Hedland documents are available to the community upon request and in alternative formats if required, including hard copy in standard and large print, electronic format, audio format on CD or USB, or via email.